Johor Bahru ( JB ) is a place that is frequented by many people in Singapore and because of this there is huge rush and traffic block at Customs, especially during weekends and public holidays, if we are going by road. Many are unaware of the train service from Woodlands to JB, which will take less than 5 minutes to reach JB Sentral. No traffic Block, No long queues. This article is a small guide on how to go to JB by train.
First of all, a big sorry for not having much pictures, as photography was prohibited in most parts of this journey and so I didn’t dare to take more pictures.
The Train station is at Woodlands CIQ. There is a KTM BERHAD Ticket counter, from where you can purchase ticket or you can buy online from their website or other online sites like Easybook . But these online purchases have to be endorsed before journey at the ticket counter. Tickets are in heavy demand and it is advised to take at least a month in advance to avoid disappointment.
Below is the step by step process for this journey to JB
- Upon reaching Woodlands CIQ, go to the 1st floor.
- There will be separate section for train journey people and there will be seats where you can sit. If there is a queue, stand in the queue.
- Approximately 30 minutes before the scheduled departure, they will open the gate and will check our tickets and allow entry.
- First we will be walking to the Singapore Immigration.
- After immigration, we will walk to Malaysian Immigration, which is nearby only.
- After entry is stamped at Malaysia Immigration, there is baggage scan and after that we will be entering the train.
- That’s all and within 5 mins, you will be reaching JB Sentral. Train is pretty much comfortable and there are no seat numbers, even though it will be mentioned in the ticket. You can sit wherever you find seat.
- There is no immigration at JB and you can straight away exit and enjoy JB.
Below is the step by step process for this journey back to Woodlands.
- Stand in the queue at JB Sentral. Mostly it will be Gate 1.
- Approximately 30 minutes before the scheduled departure, they will open the gate and will check our tickets and will allow entry.
- This will take us to the Malaysian Immigration. There are enough number of counters here, split into 2 sections.
- After immigration, there is baggage scan and we will be waiting in the waiting area for the train to come and the passengers to exit.
- Once ready, they will open the gate and we can board train. As mentioned earlier, there are no seat numbers. You can sit wherever you find seat.
- You will be reaching Woodlands in 5 mins and will have to queue up for immigration.
- After entry is stamped at Singapore immigration, there will be baggage scan and you will be going out.
I hope this will be a useful guide for anyone visiting JB and if you plan a bit in advance, you can reach JB without any delay, by using train.